Monday, January 27, 2014

Coca-Cola Classic

Coke and Meat



Well, the title sounds appealing..right! Who wouldn't want coke and meat? Lately I have been in search of different ways to cook meat. I'll be honest. Cooking fresh vegetables and casseroles and baking cakes and cookies bring me so much pleasure. However, I find no pleasure in handling and cooking meat. It's just my least favorite part of cooking. I've never been a real meat fan anyways. So, to make cooking meat more enjoyable I have become BEST friends with my crockpot. I have been through three crockpots in my life. I love to use them. Investing in one with high quality would probably be smart for me. (I'll add it to my wish list I have going when my children are married and own their own! HA!) 
I just love using my crockpot...
especially for cooking meat. 
Hanging out with our youth one Sunday, I overheard (imagine that...I overhear a lot when i'm around those sweet things!) one of our youth talking about how their mom had a Boston butt and coke in the crockpot at home. At first I was like...What in the world? Who thinks to put coke in a crockpot? Well, my curiosity got me, and the next week I had a Boston butt and coke in my crockpot...and my life hasn't been the same since. It sounds strange, but the more I talk about it...the more people are telling me what other meats you can put with coke in the crockpot.
Ham and Coke
Boston Butt and Coke
Whole Chicken and Coke
Pork Tenderloin and Coke
The possibilities are endless! 



Last week I decided to cook a pork tenderloin in the crockpot. I added a chopped onion and coke. It was really good. You can't really taste the coke, but it makes the meat so tender. It also make a good gravy. I cooked mine on low for eight hours. I think six hours would have been plenty, but I let it go eight. I served steamed broccoli with parmesan cheese and company rice with it. 
I will list the recipe for each item below! 


Pork Tenderloin
1 onion
1 can of coke
1 pork tenderloin
Salt and pepper your meat. Add onion and coke. Cook on low for 8 hours in crockpot. 

Company Rice
4 tablespoons of butter (I only used 2!)
1 can of beef consume
1 can of french onion soup
1 cup of uncooked rice
Preheat oven on 375 degrees. Place the butter in a 13X9 baking dish and let it melt in the oven while your oven is heating. When the butter is melted put the remaining ingredients in the baking dish. Stir them together. Cover the dish with tin foil. Bake on 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes. 

Steamed Broccoli with Parmesan Cheese
fresh broccoli
parmesan cheese (shredded is best)
Steam your broccoli on the stove. Drain the water. Sprinkle with garlic salt, a little bit of olive oil, and parmesan cheese. 

I hope you will venture out and try one of these meats with coke! It will change the way you think about coke and cooking meat! 

I hope you all have a great week! Remember to check back Wednesday to see what we have been up to the last seven days! We've had some LONG nights lately! This mama is in need of sleep! 

I'll leave you with this verse to think on today...
Romans 8: 28-31
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his son that height be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified. What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 

HE is FOR us!!



1 comment:

  1. Well I'll be saving this for sure! I've done coke with something before but I can't remember what kind of meat I used. And I'm with you. Unless I cook meat in the crockpot, or brown it on the stove, or Eddie grills, I don't make it. I almost NEVER make meat in the oven. That is so strange, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete